View Single Post
      01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
My 3 year lease expires soon. I plan on buying the car.

I can buy it for $30k, let the 4 year warranty run its course and trade in the car sometimes in its 5th year.

Alternatively I've been offered to have the car certified and buy it for $34k. For the extra $4,000 they'll recondition the car as a CPO and I'll get the 6 year CPO warranty.

Has anyone else done this? Feel it's worth it? Will the car being a CPO have a better trade-in value later?

I think buying up on BMW extended vehicle protection plan (warranty) is probably cheaper than the CPO route. You can choose different levels of coverage and time/milage spans. You can buy the "Plainum" 7yr/100K miles for less than $4k any time before the end of your 4yr/50K mile warranty. I doubt that BMW does much to recondition your car prior to issuing it a CPO Cert. A thorough inspection is probably about it.

I have no experience with owning a car and getting it CPO'd. My wife bought a CPO E46. It was an OK deal. The BMW "Extended" Plan can be transferred to a new owner. I don't think you can do that with a CPO Cert - not 100% sure on that.

http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...P_brochure.pdf

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0