View Single Post
      01-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #52
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

This is the same chart I used.

I think you're confused about my Honda statement.

What I meant was that the power band, the way the engine makes power, is very "peaky" on the 35i. Which means that less then 6000 rpm the engine brings up power slowly and then peaks.

For the 35is the power comes quicker and flatter curve. you will feel more power sooner with the 35is.

Hondas are very peaky. Low rpms they do not produce a lot of power, but they are great up top.

In contrast. American muscle cars have great low end power but suck above 5000 rpm.

I guess what I am saying is that the tune for the 35is has a great low- mid range where as the 35i has a great top end power. Next time you are driving take a look at your rpm and see where they sit around corners, passing, and cruising. You'll notice you wont be at 6000 for very long, most likely cruising 3-4500. At those ranges you'll notice the 35is is stronger.

peak hp helps sales.
torque wins races.
mid range power/ torque + hp is where the fun is. ( you don't have to wind it up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
But why oh why? Both use the N54 hardware! Please remember that we can never compare charts from different dynos/cars/conditions. We can only compare before and after charts on the same car/dyno/day.

Please also remember that the ESS tune is also available for the 35is. And there is no way they lowered the boost at any RPM. Why would they tune the car to produce less torque and then try to sell that as a performance product?

There are two tunes for the 35i (stage 1 = 350hp and stage 2 = 390hp). For the 35is there is only one ESS tune (stage 1 which gives you +50hp or so. This is the same as stage 2 for 35i). This is because the 35is (without overboost) already produces similar torque as the 35i with ESS stage 1.

Again, because boost is increased, there is no way that ESS produces less torque at any RPM. I do not believe above numbers are comparable.

Here is the chart comparing 35is vs ESS on the same car/day/dyno (I assume).

http://www.esstuning.com/product_ima...55766_zoom.jpg

I am not sure if the 35is is running overboost in this chart. Maybe it is not. But there is no way that ESS is turning an 35is into a Honda Civic like you stated. This engine comes with two small turbos.They have very little lag, but even ESS cannot change the fact that they run out of air at higher RPMs.
Appreciate 0