03-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Heard aftermarket sprays aren't the same because factory bakes your paint. Will report back with inspection results later this week...
Usually i would say them same thing but with BMW even though they do bake the vehicle to cure the paint, their paint is so soft that a piece of sand will chip the paint if it hits it at speed.

most quality paint shops use a paint that drys harder so it is comparable to baking the paint like the factory does. Also note that the rocker panel you are talking about will be sprayed and cured off the car so the car will not even be in their heat tunnel while drying so they can ramp up the temp to cure it.

I think people worry about the paint quality of aftermarket shops today erroneously because of the stories they had heard here or there. If you are going to keep the vehicle for show purposes or for collecting then i could think of much better cars to do that with rather than the Z4. Im Not saying that it isnt worth keeping, i love mine. I am saying that there are too many of them to be worth collecting.