View Single Post
      10-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I'll start by saying I've not driven an M4 but if I recall they are pretty quick and a bit twitchy. I've owned a 996 about 10 years ago, and my wife and I really enjoyed the car. 300Hp, was pretty quick and quite well sorted. I kept it for a few years but I couldn't get past the soft looks compared to what I think a Porsche should look like. That and the headlights. My other complaint, and this sounds like a first world problem was the thing was a great drive, no drama. It stopped better than it accelerated, and it was pretty quick. It was also like driving my Volvo wagon. Smooth, planted but not thrilling. 180Kmh, sipping a latte kind of boring almost.

I ended up with a Factory Five Cobra for a while and then my Z4MC, which is more severe than the Porsche was, and which I am just in the process of swapping for a 993 C2.

These cars are weekend drivers for me, I've always loved the old air cooled Porsches. My view is that Porsche was all about sports cars the way Ferrari is. BMW builds great cars, but sports cars is an after thought to them, like most manufacturers.

I was actually waffling between a 997 and the 993. The 997 has great creature comforts, handled great and is something, more of a Grand Tourer than a sports car in my view. I think Porsche has lost its way in some respects when they went to the 996 and SUV's.

If you really want a new Porsche and want the Porsche experience, I'd go for a GT2 or GT3 or at least a 911 S rather than the 4S. Or go Old school, and go air-cooled. Won't be as fast as your M4, but it will be the real deal.

Hope this helps, just my two cents. Here's my soon to be delivered 993.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5