01-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
wmandra
Track Addict
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i, 2014 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Never fail to impress my friend.

Looking fwd to the pics. Any chance of vids on the track? I track my car a few times a year, but the understeer is a buzz killer, especially coming from a supercharged e46 with full suspension setup.

I am currently leasing my car but not afraid for some bolt ons. I am thinking H&R springs along with the sway bars to start off. I saw Jannisa mentioned a great improvement for understeer, "close to zero." Would you agree?

Here's a vid from Watkins Glen last year:

I have no direct experience with the H&R springs on the E89, had the Eibach's on for only about a week and hated them. In terms of reducing understeer it really depends on where you are seeing understeer occur (corner entry, mid corner or corner exit).

Very generally speaking lowering the ride height will help with understeer during corner entry. Stiffer front sway bar will help mid corner if you have excessive body roll. Reducing understeer at corner exit requires changing the front rebound rate on the shocks though which means coilovers.

You can try the springs and sway bars and if it still feels like there is a lot of understeer you can attempt to counter by reducing rear camber (the E89 has quite a bit of camber in the rear from the factory). Reducing rear camber slightly will cause the rear tires to loose grip sooner and increase the potential for oversteer.

Of course always go back to basics and make sure that you're not doing something that's contributing to the oversteer condition (ie. applying power to quick in the corner, trail braking or entering the corner too fast to start with).
Driver, Ratchet Head Racing #93 BMW Z4
Club Organizer, Garden State Euros Motorsport Division
2014 Glacier Silver Z4 28i M Sport - See the build thread: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950367

Last edited by wmandra; 01-16-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0