04-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #52
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Yeah Lexus and Acura are big among the south asian crowd for sure. Even within a single brand it's difficult for them splurge on something more than mid-level. A very common perception among the 1st gen asian (south/east/other) community is that there are significant diminishing returns on a vehicle after a certain point (probably somewhere between $50k and $70k MSRP).

It's not at all uncommon for 1st gen asians to look at a loaded brand new E class mercedes versus an S class mercedes and scoff at the thought of paying nearly double for the S class while getting back what they perceive to be maybe a 10-30% "improvement" in tangible assets.

The "prestige" factor alone of an S class will never entice them. If they're paying $100k for an S class over $60k for an E class there better be significant differences, and unfortunately (for Mercedes) that's just not the case. To them an S class is nothing more than a slightly elongated E class with very similar driving dynamics and very similar interior luxury features.
Spot on assessment. Come to think of it, I have really never seen Indian people drive any flagship sedans or SUVs. They won't go bigger than an E-class or GLE, Lexus RX, etc. And when it comes to performance cars? You better forget it. Not once was a brownie seen in the likes of a Boxster or ///M car. I'm probably the only brownie I know who finds a hobby in cars and wants to own something sporty, loud, and in a loud color like Yas Marina Blue or Speed Yellow.

The cheap and dorky stereotypes exist for a reason.
Appreciate 1
NemesisX316.50