07-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uslic001 View Post
Was it easy to install? How long did it take to install? Does it create error codes that will be picked up when you take the care in for service?

Bryan
Yes it was very easy to install. ESS sends you a handheld interface unit and a cable that plugs into a socket located inside the car. You download a software update, then record the OEM ECU program onto the unit and backup onto your computer for future use. Send them the OEM file via email and a few hours later they send you the MOD ECU program. You load this onto the handheld unit and then upload it into the car. The upload took about 20 mins. The only odd thing was the fuel pump came on and stayed on during the upload of the MOD ECU program... that sort of concerned me but no harm was done.

No error codes have cropped up and all systems work just fine.

Before you take the car in for service you upload the original OEM ECU Program that you have stored on your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
It's my understanding that the ESS unit plugs into a harness (something like a diagnostics port) and flashes the factory ECU with a new program. Additionally, it (before the aftermarket tuning) can backup the factory programming.

So backup OEM, flash ESS ... have fun ... restore OEM, take to dealer.

I think I read someone posting that it took 15 minutes to flash the ESS tune.

I really like the idea of not physically touching or wiring up anything like a piggyback controller. No chances of breaking a harness or pin, or doing anything that shows the ECU has been accessed (like dinging up the cover/bolts/etc).
I compared the JB4 to the ESS system and ultimately it was the simplicity of the ESS that won me over. No hardware to install, adapt or malfunction.
Appreciate 0