View Single Post
      02-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Z2 is originally based within the Modular architecture from the upcoming 1er and 3er but shortened to accomomdate. Whether the two projects have been merged I cannot say as I have not been in Munich much since I returned in early January.

Where the confusion lies is possibly that with the Compact cars so far three are set in stone. The City Compact , Gran Turismo CST and the FAST.
But they are thinking ahead in terms of growth. By the end of the decade BMW hope that combined MINI units and BMW FWD units will be selling at the rate of 800,000 units between the two families.

A smaller Roadster is one idea under discussion to increase the family circle.
And again they are looking at what can happen under Project-i .
Could a similar concept bring more interest in a smaller sports car project?
After some key BMW people got behind the Active E and realising how far you can get a very good dynamic car that is great to drive but under sustainable methods.

The BMW Vision Connected Drive is purely a template. It is not a future model per se. It is more a template to show how design and technology can be a synergy in the future . Although when the time comes you will recognise some design elements of the concept within the next BMW X5 (rear) and 3er Coupe and Cabrio (side character sculpture). The technology is not that too far away although some features you can get in your BMW today but the concept is purely a future lab for design and technology. Although BMW have now turned their attention to their premium markets having completed this decades strategy of preparing BMW for the growth of the compact , Premium Compact , Premium Entry segments and of course Project-i.

Whilst the Z2 design is finalized. The larger Roadster planned for the Premium Segment is still not finalized although the car remains in competition with the designers behind the Vision Connected Drive being in the competition.

The BMW Mini-van takes it's approach from the BMW FAST which for the 3er is known as AFAST Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer. The idea is to mix the space of an MPV , The solidity of an SAV with the shape of a larger Touring model but have it remain more car-like in it's appearance.
When BMW talk about FAST And AFAST the question is why do customers have to conform to a single concept which is a typical eurobox or a van with windows if they require space and flexibility? BMW's ideas are to reinterpret the concept to be more car like but without compromise of space, flexibility and how the car drives.

The 3er unlike the FAST 1er will be Rear wheel drive and for cost effectiveness will be based on the LWB platform of the Chinese only market BMW 3er Li which will be introduced for the first time with the F30.

AFAST is if you can put it the reincarnation of BMW's RFK project that morphed into the BMW 5er Gran Turismo. That rendering on AMS turns the car into a van which it certainly will not be.
@ BMW some concepts might not be suitable for some segments but can work in others where there is demand for a BMW Concept of this type.

To describe the order in size for BMW space Concepts in height - First would be Shooting Brake(6er) , Touring (3er,5er) , Gran Turismo (1er,3er,5er) and then FAST/AFAST (1er,3er).
Attached Images