Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Talking 6 weeks / 600 mile Z4 review

Ok, I know 600 miles in 6 weeks is not a particularly high mileage, but here are some of my thoughts on the new Z4.

I spent most of today cleaning it, and applying a coat of Collinite 915 wax as well as giving the interior a good clean. I've had the roof down quite a lot recently and it just seems to attract dust when the roof is down

The engine in the sDrive 23i is the same as the one I had in my 2006 325i coupe, but you wouldn't think it. Not sure if its because of less sound deadening or tweaks to the exhaust but it sounds quite throaty and deep like a 6-in-line should (even at idle!). The engine bay was given a wipe over with Aerospace Protectant 303 - love this stuff. It gives all the plastics a really nice shine without appearing too glossy or sticky.

Can also be used on the interior plastics:

The manual gearbox has a very short throw and positive shift. I've only had it in SPORT mode a few times, but you do noticeably feel the difference in steering and throttle response. In NORMAL mode the steering can feel a bit light and "remote", but its still very accurate.

I love the 19" wheels and have to say the ride is not too harsh... but puddles of dirty water lie at the bottom of them when it rains:

Once they've been cleaned, they look amazing:

The mark on the spoke at the bottom of the wheel is actually some PoorBoys Wheel Sealant, not properly buffed off. Its intended to help stop dirt and grime stick to the wheel.

I also think that the heating controls and central dash looks amazing, but from the drivers seat, its quite difficult to see what the passenger side temperature is set to (unless you want it set to 22 or upwards!)

I know some don't like the idea of the folding hard top. It certainly does eat into luggage space, and access to the boot is quite poor when the roof is folded, but this is not really an issue for me. Also, the design of the roof is first class - no major squeaks/rattles or even water leaks, although I did finally track a rattle down to the passenger seat. Re-adjusting various bits of the seat has made it stop, but someone did suggest that BMW know about this issue.

All I can say is that I'm really enjoying this car and I think it makes my old 2006 325i coupe look a bit dull in comparison. At the end of a long hard day at the office, getting into the Zed soon lifts your mood!

Any questions, just ask!
Attached Images