View Single Post
      07-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Here are my first impressions, copied from a thread on another board:

The performance of the 3.0TT is defintely there. I've seen 0-60mph in 4.8 (R&T test). I haven't tried to replicate that or gone much over 5k RPM before break-in is complete. Mid range power is plenty and far more than the 3.0 would have been. It actually weighs just a bit more than a 135i coupe so its comparable. The 7 spd DCT is geared similar to a 135i 6spd (per my calcs) but 3-4-5-6-7 are closer ratios. There is always a throaty growl to the exhaust. I do like the DCT. The dynamic drive control gives 3 modes, normal, sport, & sport+. With the DCT, normal gives very smooth shifts (but never lazy and sloppy like even the sport auto can be), while sport shifts are quicker and more "snap", similar to full sport mode of the SAT but more so. Sport+ adds throttle blips and an abruptness to the shifts, not unlike SMG. Throttle response is decent in normal (unlike the 550i), and quickens a bit in sport modes but is never touchy. Its comparable to the 550i sport mode. I don't think it matches the response of the E39 M5 sport mode but that could be the slight turbo delay. Although, mid range power is always an easy press of the throttle, without having to punch it or wind it out. Its as satisfying as the 550i V8 but a completely different experience.

The ride is quite good in normal. I don't notice any bouncing like other short wheelbase cars. Sport firms things up but its still tolerable on most roads. Sport+ is noticeably firm but doesn't seem overly harsh. I would definitely use sport+ on the Tail of the Dragon. The handling seems to be there. Its got good high limits with slight understeer and easily controlled balance with the throttle. I do notice the fact of sitting near the rear axle, you feel the back end well. I WILL need to do more playing with the handling to really know the car. The steering is light but firms up by sport+. Its very quick and responsive but does lack raw feedback (but only when compared to the best BMWs, as noted in many reviews). Its been years since I've driven a Z3 coupe or ridden in a Z4 Coupe so I really can't compare it to those cars.

I love the interior. Very high end with the Nappa leather everywhere, even the tops of the doors and dash. I also like the white alcantara with strips on the seats and doors. I am going to have to be very carefull and not mark it up. The seats are comfortable but very supportive. It's got power adjustable side bolsters but they're not auto releasing like the 550i multi-comfort sport seats or whatever they are now called.

It does have all the top BMW goodies, far more than the X3 or older Z4. Of course the active zenons, full steering wheel controls, blue tooth, home link, auto headlights, and rain sensing wipers, but also dual zone auto A/C, residual heat, the new iDrive, voice control, and full iPod integration.

The premium sound is worthy of the name, and seems to be better than the 550i premium sound. I haven't played with storing any music but the iPod integration is seemless.

I like the new iDrive. Its easier to get around the menus but I am having to learn its system. I stored my common nav dests and it did seem to take some effort going from programming destinations to saving them in the address book.

Of course the coolest part is the power folding hard top. Its cool to open it all up as you approach the car. I've never been one to like driving with the top down but I can see the attraction and will make use of it, but not so much in the current 90 degree weather.

Storage space is the biggest downside. The glove box is small and made worse by the CD changer that I'll seldom ever use (included with premium sound). It barely holds the owners manual and certainly not the full folder of stuff. There is space behind the seats but a hat and umbrella fills that up with the seat full back. Sunglasses, a few maps, and mints fill the door pockets. The trunk space is decent with the top up but no larger than a small microwave with the top down. It might hold my camera/laptop backpack and one small overnight bag. There is a movable partition and sensors that ensure the trunk can allow the top to go down. You move the partition to utilize the full trunk space with the top up. The under floor storage can hold a pack of cigs but not much more. The small tool kit is in a rolled up vinyl pouch. That and a flashlight fill the under-floor. So I've got the folder of owners manuals under tie downs on the main trunk floor. I had thought it was just laziness that all cars at the dealer had stuff strewn about the trunk but there is no other place to store the items.

And a few more after 1 week:
Here are a few more impressions and pictures.
1. The new Z4 cruises nicely on the interstate. I had no issues with a 2 hour drive. I'm sure I could do much longer drives.
2. I have discovered roads and bumps where sport mode can really be felt.
3. The handling is excellent. On one of my favorite roads, I was able to play. Taking it to 8/10s was easy and rewarding. A middle gear, 3-4k RPMs for throttle control, Sport+ for firm steering and suspension, and DTC mode, and the car just begged for more. I was able to keep the car balanced through S curves with light throttle control and could have gone much faster. Yet I was hitting 65mph in the same turns where later I followed an MB CLK who was tapping the brakes at 45mph. Although it does feel quite edgy at the limit.
4. I really need a clear bra. One night time drive on the interstate and my front is covered with bugs.
5. It's comfortable for a 6'2" 250lb friend, once he got in the car.
6. I have to do a lunch sign up sheet at work to give all of my co-workers rides, one at a time.
Appreciate 0