View Single Post
      08-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Pir8 View Post
I gave the vin to the dealer that the car came from and got all the service history they had - very minimal but given the low miles, not unexpected?
Is there anything else that the key-read would get?

The indie I found has a 3 week backlog. Argh. A bit of a wait if I want this as a pre purchase.
It is probably the same thing, didn't realize you had already gotten the service history.

My SA and I were discussing my Z4 a while ago, and after reading the key she showed me all of the info about the car that was on her screen, such as the times it had been in for roof maintenance, hpfp replacement etc etc. Literally every visit where the car was in for service, across all the different franchise dealers I've been to, were available for her to review.

I was GUESSING this was from the key read, but likely all that happened is the VIN was pulled from my key and brought up all of the relevant information

At a minimum, there should be low mileage annual oil changes for each year the car has been in service in the record you received, and I think there should be a major and minor inspection, because those have a time, as well as mileage, interval requirement . If those aren't on there, maybe inquire if there is more info to give, or be suspicious the car has not been correctly maintained.

I am perhaps overly cautious, but I do think the extremely detailed history is critical to make some guesses about how the car was used.

For example, if you saw an M3 with an oil change 6k miles after the initial 1.2k mile change, and that tires were swapped in the same visit, when the car had around 7k total mileage, it might suggest something about how the previous owner was driving that car
Appreciate 0