12-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshields View Post
Are you guys claiming to know more about the mechanical components of the Z4 then BMW themselves now? Come to us with facts and reasons why you believe this to be true, or is it the same belief as the toothfairy?

I think its fairly clear why what BMW says is true.

Many of these cars will be gobbled up by the US market, where people are known for being not the best of drivers and don't treat the mechanicals of their cars very well ("I get oil changes, yea I take care of my car, duh"). With that said, the 6MT clutch probably can handle the torque just fine, but after years of a typical US driver pounding and dropping the clutch it will likely fail prematurly. Then these same drivers who don't take the time to really take care of their cars will jump onto the internet and start complaining about failing this and failing that. BMW is smart to overengineer their components with a high level of wiggle room so that these kinds of things don't happen.

So in this case, BMW deemed that DCT, with its superior finesse in clutch actuation then your typical driver, will likely last a whole lot longer and so its better suited for a performance car like this.

PS Why do you think launch control was deactivated for the US market.
Of course BMW is not an after market tuner. The tuners can push the envelope to the edge and sometimes over the edge. BMW has to leave a safe enough headroom because there is such a thing as warranty claims too. If you go to a tuner, you get your power and a prayer. That's just the way it is. I agree with your assessment here.