View Single Post
      01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Trying to get into a Z, thoughts on this car?

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get into a Z4, and am very picky with my color combination and options (white on red, with every option ) making it almost impossible to find my car.

I finally found one (some thousand miles away from my home) and would like to get your opinion and have some questions.

First of all, it's a 2012 with 3,000 miles. I pulled up the VIN, and its production date was 4/26/12. Why would someone buy a car and drive it for 3,000 miles and then sell it? According to the dealer (not BMW), they said the original owners (couple) broke up so they no longer needed the car. Is this an instant red flag? It's my first time buying pre-owned so I'm not sure what to look for.

Secondly, it's a 35i with every option (minus extended leather), asking for $50,000. Considering its MSRP would have been around $65k, the price seems reasonable... maybe, too reasonable? Could there be something wrong with this car?

And lastly, and most importantly, the roof. I've read a few threads here about noise from the top when up, but never read about a non-opening roof. According to the dealer, when opening the roof, when the back window folds on top of the roof, it stops. You have to release the button, then push it again for it to fold completely. When putting the top back up, it goes smoothly. The dealer said it is as a BMW dealer right now to get it fixed under warranty, some kind of sensor issue or something. Is this a serious problem, or should I not be concerned if it was fixed by a dealer under warranty. I'm just afraid of buying a $50k lemon, especially since most Lemon Laws don't cover used cars.

Thanks in advances!

Last edited by CedarZ4; 01-27-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0