Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
Well, 18 months ago, I swapped my 296 alloys for some 326 M Sport alloy wheels. The dealer swapped 2 under warranty, BMW HQ paid for one and I paid for one.

Shortly after getting them I had a cracked alloy wheel to the rear, which was a shock, but was changed under warranty. Now 18 months later, I had two new rear tyres last week, and no signs of cracks. 10 days later, car was in for a service, and guess what.....rear off side wheel has a very thin crack.

Thankfully it was changed under warranty.....so moral of the story is, it isn't just 296 wheels that crack!!!
As someone who has suffered from both a cracked 19" 230 rim and extreme, premature inner shoulder wear to all four tires requiring that they be replaced (with 50-60% tread remaining) on my 335i, reading this makes me both nervous and unhappy. I had wheel/tire warranty on the 335i, but do not on the new Z4 (with 326M rims). When I bought the wheel/tire warranty for the 335i, it was reasonably-priced. Now it has become almost cost-prohibitive, unless you operate under the assumption that something bad WILL happen, rather than MIGHT happen.

Not buying the warranty this time around means I have more than enough money in the bank to replace one rim and one tire (if needs be). If there are multiple incidents, then I will be wishing I'd bought the coverage. Time will tell. I'm not hard on my cars and typically drive them less than 5,000 km per year, but I hope to have this one for a while.
Appreciate 0