View Single Post
      09-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

so, lets start over...we have the hard drive system. you can buy the map dvd update disk for $7-$8 + shipping directly from any BMW dealer (I got mine from tischler). However, they are worthless without an FSC code (20-25 digit security code that is TIED to your VIN that the car asks you to enter when you insert the new map discs). Without this code, the car will not proceed with the update.

BMW is being really bad about getting this FSC code over the internet. They used to allow a dealer to sell it to you, but no longer allow. tischler bmw, etc, have all stopped this practice. They want you to go to your local bmw dealer and have them do the "install" for you. This basically means they acquire the FSC code and then use the DVDs to update your maps.

Just this august, bmw raised the price for FSC code. In the U.S. it is now approx $300-$350! Most consider this to out and out rape. There is a company in Russia that claims to be able to acquire the FSC code for you (you give them VIN an disk info, they email you back to the code to enter). Good reviews, but not sure if i trust them...
Appreciate 0