08-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I would never pay that much money for a turbo-4. They are nuts.
+1

I was quite close to getting the Audi TTS but they were crazy to charge so much for just a 4 cyl (luckily I drove the Z4 before finalizing anything). I thrashed that Audi on my test drive and it just didn't have enough power/smoothness as my 6 cyl. It felt very weak and the a/c took forever to reach operating levels on a hot day.

skier also makes another good point about fuel mileage: a lot of these claimed #s are extremely optimistic for many cars, even including the 6 cyl Z4. Anyway, we're all buying these ranges of cars presumably for sport/luxury factors, not to save some small amount of $...we're not buying Nissan Leafs or Honda Civics here. What's the point of getting a Z4 if one is just going to drive like grandma to optimize fuel mileage?

Besides, how much of a gas savings are we talking about even if the 4 vs 6 cyl mileage gap is actually there? As an example, I have a 5 cent gas savings card that I use whenever I fill up, which seems pretty significant, but on a full tank, all I save is a little over $2....whoopy-do. It definitely isn't enough to make me want to have 2 less cyls.
Appreciate 0