View Single Post
      04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
dim3314
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy Z4 sDrive35IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Here's what I can offer. My wife and I bought a '13 35i for her from an MB dealer in Ariz. (about 600 miles from home) six months ago. It had just short of 19k miles, had been sold as a CPO 7 months prior and had then been traded to the Benz dealer for a four seat convertible. So when we bought it for $40k, it was kind of a "semi-CPO" car. It's not a 35is and is not as well equipped as yours, but that was also six months ago and these cars are not known for holding their value well. What has your research told you similar cars go for? We shopped nationwide and couldn't help notice how consistent used BMW pricing was all over the US. At the time, we felt that $40k was right in line with comparable vehicles. The point I'm trying to get to, is, 6 months later, I wouldn't think it's too much of a stretch to think that one could get a 35is for the same kind of money ($40K).
As for the cosmetic damage you noticed in the video compared to the still shots, that's what CPOing a car is all about. Original owners have lots of opportunity to screw up a car in 24 months and a CPO dealer is supposed to make the car as "like-new" as possible before offering it for sale. That's part of why you may a premium for CPO. Your job is to inspect the car thoroughly (and you have an advantage here knowing what it looked like when it was turned in!) and make sure the repairs were made to your satisfaction. Just as an aside, the car we bought turned out to have had some shitty respray work done on the nose which the dealer had not informed us of prior to our flying down to pick it up. I managed to get them to lower the price from the original $40.5k to $40k and when we got home the car went straight to our body shop where they reshot the front cover for $565. So all was again right with the world! Good luck.
When you first saw the car in person in AZ at the MB dealer, were you able to see the respray work done on the car? I'm hoping that this BMW dealership did a professional CPO job in restoring the nose and giving it a real paint job, not just little touch ups. Even the carfax doesn't state anywhere if there was a "paintjob" done. Is there anyway for me to check if the car did in fact go through a professionally done paintjob? or will I just have to accept that the car was just done with a little minor paintjob?
Appreciate 0