Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What do you guys think about the role of tire pressure in all this? Could there be a higher likelihood of damage if the tire pressure is lower?

I've been using the slightly higher air pressure on the yellow placard on the driver door partly as a speculative precaution (the thinking being that less air will allow more sidewall flex, which might cause the rim to hit the road surface when going over the edge of pothole at higher speed).

Thoughts/feedback?

Also, anyone have a measurement on the thicker lip of the modified style 296 wheel? I'm trying to figure out which version of wheel is installed on my Dec 2011 build date car.

Back on topic: What about trying to recover from the city by using a process similar to the one outlined in this website for San Diego?

http://americanfactorywheel.com/blog/archives/57
All I can add here is that when I had my Z435i with 296 wheels and RFT I checked my tire pressure on a weekly basis and found often I had to make adjustments.

Naturally if you run low on air pressure your tire may deteriorate (otherwise BMW would not limit you on the milage on a flat) also a tire with low air pressure IMHO will exert yet even a higher force on the rear inner rim due to the stiff sidewall on the RFT and the negative 2.5 camber you have on the rear wheels.

A US Tire shop manager (when I had my cracked wheel on the Z4) told me to run higher air pressure on the rear if I carry luggage and the roof in the trunk for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0