03-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #55
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
That's interesting as I've just spent 2 week vacationing in China (Shanghai and Nanjing). I've noted a few peculiarities:

- For BMW, Audi, and MB, I generally only see lower trims in a given series. I rarely see the top trim model. For example, I saw a lot of 320i and some 328i, but I don't recall seeing a single 335i. I wonder if it's tax related.

- Nearly all of them are stretched versions instead of the normal version. For example, 320Li, A4L, C200L. None of them are available in the US.

- I did not see a single Z4 until the very last last day in Shanghai, when I've basically given up hope. Then I saw in the distance an Alpine White E89, either a 23i, 28i, or 30i. I nearly shed a single tear of joy!

- BMWs are about 2x the price in China compared to US. A 2013 335Li is about 600k RMB, which at the exchange of close to 6 to 1, is close to $100k USD.

- I did see a lot of Mini's. Apparently those are pretty popular.
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
Appreciate 0