View Single Post
      11-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
LOL. I figured that comparison to the Miata would get under someone's skin.

Since we are all sharing opinions....I'll share mine, which many have already agree with, and many Porsche folks will have a hard time accepting>>>>>.The Boxster has a tired 12 year old body style and a plain jane interior as it's 2 glaring negatives. Thus, the new Z4 is the better overall package, when considering all aspects of a vehicle.

I've never seen a guy driving an SLK350. If you can name one guy that owns an SLK 350, then we can maybe start discussing it in the same sentence as the new Z4. Until then it will remain the "chick mobile" it was designed to be by the Mercedes marketing people.
Funny, I see guys driving SLK's all the time...

I have to disagree about the Boxster's design as the way I see it, Porsche has always done evolutionary changes starting with the 911. It retained the same basic shape all the way through the 993. Most P-car fans think the 993 was the last "real Porsche"(even though the 996 and 997 are obviously in the same line). The Boxster is a classic IMO as well. The shape is instantly identifiable as a Porsche. I personally love it and the changes for 2010 just make it even better. The interior is very usable and comfortable as well(and its very classically German too). BMW, on the other hand, couldn't be more different with the Z3, E85 Z4 and E89 Z4's designs. It is like the Japanese do nowadays with practically no evolution at all. I think they are trying to make a classic shape that is loved(as the E85 Z4 certainly was not).

I don't see how you can possibly call the E89 Z4 a "better" overall vehicle. In what way? The P-car handles better, is faster, has better brakes, has much more usable trunk space, etc, etc. You think because the E89 "looks" better(which is very subjective anyway) this makes it a better overall package?

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Obviously, since you drive an E89 you are going to defend it. While I drive an E85, I understand the Boxster S is a superior vehicle. I was just not willing to spend the extra $$$ needed to get one vs the Z4M I ended up with, and my biggest gripe about P-cars is the nickel and diming to get decent options. BMW is much better in this regard(and more Japanese-like).

I had the same discussions on the S2000 boards when the Boxster vs S2000 discussion arose. The S2000 is a 35K car and it just can't compete with the Boxster on many levels(even though the S2K is a great car in its own right - I had one for 3 yrs before getting the Z4M.)
Appreciate 0