06-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #151
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post
Overpriced crap with a terrible suspension / chassis and no track performance.

Good job completely ruining the Z4 line and ripping off customers, BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
LOL, tell us how you *really* feel.

Overpriced? Yes, I agree here as I've stated w/ reasons earlier: I can't stand that it shares engines w/ lesser-priced BMWs. However, it doesn't have a terrible suspension / chassis, despite being a convertible.
I think I owe the forum an update:

Strangely, 5 months after making the comment above, I am ordering a new 2014 Z4 35i.

Do I still feel it's overpriced? Yes.

Do I still think it has a bad suspension / chassis? Well, I think the 1 series is much better, and I bought a 135i sport in 2008 for 20k less than the Z4. Same engine, but different body and hardtop roof for 60% more money? Not a good value by any stretch..

Then why the heck am I buying the Z4? Because I wanted a new car to drive and track in europe with the N54 motor (I hate the N55), and they don't make the 1M anymore. All my previous BMWs have been very performance worthy (have only had either M cars or cars with the N54 motor) and I haven't been as interested in other BMWs that I've driven.

Unfortunately, it's likely this will be my last BMW purchase now that BMW has gone a completely different direction with their products, engineering, pricing, and (lack of) performance value that they previously enjoyed. That being said, I sure hope to enjoy the experience of buying my last new BMW.

I should note that I almost bought a Boxster S instead of the Z4, and I think it's a better drivers car, but I thought it was sluggish and not torquey enough compared to the BMW N54 motor. I also didn't like the Porsche PDK shifting as much as I like BMW's DCT.
My last car was a 997 GT3 - I am more of a performance / track oriented driver. BMW *used to* make cars for me at decent prices, but they have stopped! It's sad to be a BMW fanatic with the models they are releasing these days and the recent misdirection of their M car lineup.

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 06-23-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Not enough sarcastic grammar teachers on the internet.
Appreciate 0