03-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Would you agree that OEM is also smoother and louder than the ESS tune? Or is it different with the COBB?

When you talk about smoothness do you mean the power delivery over different rpms at WOT? Or in how it reacts to throttle inputs? I mean for instance, if the car is more responsive, it might feel less smooth. As in normal vs sport mode.

I am no expert, and I dont know exactly how our turbos are managed by the ECU, but I wonder if ESS has implemented at higher base level for the boost in order to decrease turbo lag and improve responsiveness. That might explain why the sound is more muted, and and why the engine is less smooth. I dont know, but there must be a simple technical explanation. Especially the slightly muted sound must have happened as a side effect of doing something else. Why would they mute it on purpose?
With the OEM, it felt that the car was tamed a bit. It never wowed me but it could have been because I was coming from an M3 E92. Then when I got the ESS, car felt more loose. A lot more pick me up not just on WOT but at steady acceleration. The reaction was jumpy a little bit when I stepped on it, but it could be the turbo lag. However, I did upgrade to a forged diverter pipe so I guess the lag could have been worse.

It felt that the ESS had a more sudden burst of speed when I accelerated while the COBB feels more linear. A smooth increase in power, not as much of a burst, even on WOT. That is why I thought I was losing power with COBB but then again, I need to dyno to find out for sure. Timing my 0-60 seems nearly identical to the ESS but the shifts are smoother in the COBB in my opinion.

With the plethora of available maps COBBS has, I am more inclined to stick with cobb than with ESS but of course I'll keep the ESS on the car when I finally decide to sell it in a few years. =)
Appreciate 0