04-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #68
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Please share with us all exactly what they did to the Z4 35iS engine when they added it to the 1M...

It has the same power, torque, (I've dynoed both and they were within 2kW of eachother and the curves were identical) and both have the same overboost function.
The marketing from BMW even said it was the engine from the Z4 35iS.

The sticker change is the only bit we know about, so your facts about what has changed will be of great interest to us all.
First of all, we both know that quoting marketing lines doesn't necessarily gives you the truth. However, I didn't mean that 1M has more power or torque, I said that engine was worthy of M badge anyway but they did not want to put that badge while it was in the Z4's engine bay; and now in 1M on the contrary I could live without a badge. You say you dynoed both, please share the results and I will also be glad to see identical curves etc. and we will end discussion.

There are too many dyno results for the 1M showing that the car is way underrated. I don't know if they all match numbers for Z4 dynoes. I also remember clearly from early interviews with the M engineers and executives, saying that they re-worked the z4is engine and found power everywhere. If I would be a better internet searcher I would provide you with the exact interviews. For now, the only "proof" if you need one, is I can remind you the fact that 1M comes with an M button or sport mode (not identical to the one in Z4) which changes the throttle response sharply. I believe precisely because of the M mode plus the MDM software (also not identical but similar with the DTC in Z4) and being a manual gearbox with specific gear ratios the engineers had to play with the mapping of the N54T engine for the 1M, just to "suit" it for that car. I am not and have never been talking about any major change.

If 1Ms have more power than the Z4is I really don't know about it and don't care as well. It wouldn't be a surprise for me to find out they really do have more power, since 1M history is all about underrating the car since day 1, in performance numbers, engine output, official lap times etc. These are out of the scope of this conversation, but you must have heard about them. I always believed that the Z4is engine was the best choice for a small M car and they just did what I was dreaming of and am happy about that, end of story. If like you said here as well back in February 2011 (I was searching an interview and found this on this very same topic, your words) you are commenting as follows:

"The main difference is in the wrapping materials they use for the two engines, and of course the taste of the people who buy them.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It shows the 35is engine was good enough for an M car afterall."

All I was saying that, yes I agree with that but there is some (minor) work that had to be done on the engine to make it work the way that the engineers wanted it work in 1M, be it providing more power or not, they had to re-work on some minor issues.

If I loose my job and my family and have enough time to spend in internet, I will make an extensive search for you In the meantime don't worry a bit I gladly accept that they are basically the same engine with same/similar outputs.
Appreciate 0