11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I don't know whether the chemistry of the kits is different but the general idea is that they inject a "goop" into the tire which is supposed to form a seal that holds air in when the "goop" gets hotter, and there is an air compressor incorporated that inflates the tire.

What ended up happening to me (1/4" nail puncture in the center of tread block, nail still embedded) is that the "goop" didn't actually form a seal and the air loss wasn't stopped at all. I had to overinflate the tire and cross fingers there was enough air to get to a tire shop.

I've also heard the "goop" ruins the TPMS but I have no first hand experience because this was on a non TPMS car.

EDIT: personally, I think the BMW kit is a rebrand of slime or some other similar product at a big mark up, and i wouldn't trust it. I don't have tech to back that up but that's my opinion and the reason i stick with RFT
That BMW Mobility kit is the same one that they put in all of the M cars. Interesting that they don't fit RFT's on the M cars, that tells you something. I figure if its good enough for the M cars its good enough for me, but agree, hope I never need to use it.

Anyway, I got the PSS's installed the other day. They are great, the increased grip is amazing, ride nominally smoother. They seem to have slightly higher road noise, which is opposite of my experience with them in my 135i. I have not fooled around with pressures yet, but will.

No fit issues with the 235/35/19 fronts and 265/30/19 rears. They fill in the wheel wells a little better too.
Appreciate 0