View Single Post
      03-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

For anyone interested, will be installing either Stage I or Stage II when my sked clears and local dealer has the software. Will post impressions here.

Am asking my Dinan dealer to run down Dinan's comment on the torque limit on DCT transmission - I recall from a posting many months ago that the DCT has a 375 lb-ft limit and this would rule out Stage II for DCT Z4s I think.

Anyone in Florida interested in Dinan, I can highly recommend C2Designs in Tampa. Dinan Platinum dealer. Chris Chapas, who runs the operation, has the cleanest small shop I've ever seen and he was really great to work with when I did my E93 Stage II (recall that BMW had to retune the N54 in the E9X and this meant reinstalling the Dinan tune also; no cost, no fuss).

The question of Dinan tuning (a complete firmware remake) vs JB and other chip-based tunes comes up regularly. As I understand it, the chips sit in front of the ECU and send it modified inputs to cause it to produce 'tuned' outputs, with no alteration of ECU code. I've driven a JB-tuned E92 and can tell you it really flew. But I think the Dinan approach is more elegant and that the warranty is a deal-maker even at the (much higher) price. YMMV and no knocks on those who go the chip route.

Best comment I've heard on the N54 was from Chris: "BMW sure left a lot of performance on the table with that engine." BMW as much as admits that with the 'is' versions of the E89 and the E92/93, though BMW is quite conservative with that upgrade.

BTW, have not heard of a single N54 failure of any sort in any model BMW related to either chip tunes or Dinan software. If anyone does know of such a problem, please speak up. Absent that, my opinion is that these are pretty safe. Again, YMMV. And the DCT torque limits are an open question.
Appreciate 0