View Single Post
      10-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #18
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT

Smile Disabling the exhaust flap acutator solved all my problems rattle noise and power pro

I had been driving my 2010 3.5i for a few months with lots of weird noise, but after looking at some threads saying it was normal for new BMW for many weird noise, I didn't pay attention any more. It was not until when I stepped the gas to the floor once when racing up a slope on street, feeling and hearing the RPM seemed to be obstructed by something. I took much research online and compare the noise, I finally disable the acutator, and all the problem was solved. Basically, the noises have 3 types: (1) the 'click' noise when the flap closes hitting or rubbing the exhaust pipe, (2) another 'click' noise when the acutator moves the push rod and when the pivot points of the rod system seem loose, (3) shaking of the closed flap, hitting against the exhaust pipe, giving 'zeeee' noise.

Mechnically-wise, BMW's design seems to be simple for such an important thing. Shouldn't they have made it electronically controlled?

Last edited by shlai; 10-28-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0