08-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderE89 View Post
I'm not aware of the advantages or disadvantages for this early oil change, but any comments will be appreciated.
The only advantage would assume that very small metallic particles resulting from the break-in are circulating in the oil, and requires an immediate filter change. Some people recommend you do this as a matter of practice when building high performance engines.

12500 miles does seem like a long interval for the first change. However, BMW seems to have a very specific break in plan, which is a good thing considering that some manufactures have dropped their break in plan all together, so I would assume they have taken this factor into consideration.

The key is the filter traps the metallic particles so they are not circulating in the oil. Someone else would need to speak to the quality of BMW's oil filters since I'm not familiar with their construction (i.e., are they typical industry standard or better?). The bottom line is how fanatical are you about protecting your engine?

Considerations:

Lease vs own ('til wheels fall off)?
How hard do you drive it? Do you redline it very often?
Typical driving conditions: hot, dusty, idling in traffic, or, lots of easy cruising freeway miles?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 08-29-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0