View Single Post
      01-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Thanks guys. The Z4 is a lovely car and its design has stayed fresh all these years. The first Z4 I bought in 2012 from the UK and it has not given me any problems so that convinced me to pick up another in Asia.

ManiacGT, sorry to hear you're having those problems with your car. I've had cars with niggles in the past and it does put a damper on things. Hope you get them sorted out.

Seems quite a bit of the noise you're experiencing are gearbox related. Is your transmission oil from new? I know Bmw says it's "lifetime" but I was having some clunky gear changes and changing the transmission oil eliminated the problems. Shifts are much smoother now and no more thunking noise.

Also, check for leaks as the transmission oil pan has a tendency to leak and if you're low on transmission oil, all sorts of weird behavior can crop up. Low transmission oil of 2 liters will make the gearbox feel like it's slipping and lurching.

When I changed mine, the mechanic only put back 6.5 liters out of 9.5 and the engine would stall and cut off in addition to lurching and sputtering on steep inclines/declines. Topping up the oil cleared those problems.

Nicknaz, yes, I'm seriously thinking of the FMIC so that I have the option to flash Cobb Stage 2 for group drives. The rest of the time I plan to use on Stage 1 since the car performs brilliantly for daily use with less wear. I'm leaning towards the Wagner FMIC since it doesn't require a bumper removal or cutting the trims to fit.

As for more aggressive tires, I have 19" on my first Z4 and it's good for Europe but the poor road conditions in Asia make the 18" more practical. Might still give the 19" tires a try if I can find the 313 rims locally.

Cheers. Howie

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 01-24-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0