06-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Argh. This is driving me a bit nuts. I just went on a long(-ish for New England) trip during which I had to refuel once each direction.

It would have been really helpful to have this feature, which is intended not only to find a station but also to prevent running out of fuel and minimizing disruptions to the route. For example, at one point I was low enough that I estimated I'd run out before I got to the next station if I didn't turn around.
I was puzzled by this too since it's in my 2011 M3 manual but not in iDrive. Turns out the feature is disabled by default in US cars (no idea why it's in the manual in that case, probably a printing glitch) and the only way to enable it is via coding with the right cable and software. I've managed to do that to get the feature, but doing that is definitely a power user procedure. You can do all sorts of other cool stuff with coding though. For example, I've set up these features:

- Doors unlock when the engine is turned off so you don't have to pull the door handle twice
- Keyfob automatically ejects when the engine is turned off you so you don't have to push in to pull out
- Keyfob can be used to CLOSE the windows and moonroof rather than just open them
- iDrive startup legal disclaimer removed
- Alarm now beeps on lock but not unlock (that always annoyed me)

There's TONS more you can do with coding.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0