View Single Post
      12-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
My guess is that the NAIAS press release talks to world debut of new Z4, therefore it includes all three worldwide engine choices.

There are other "small displacement" BMW models that don't make it to the US. e.g., 630i. With the Z3 Roadster, BMW initially offered the 1.9L 4-cylinder but removed it from the US market after much criticism in the US automotive press about lack of power. The Z3 1.9i continued to sell in Europe long after BMW NA abandoned it.

BMW NA likely fears that sDrive23 would suffer the same fate as Z3 1.9i if it were offered in US.
Thanks for the answer! That's kind of what I had in my mind too. I just thought maybe when pricing the car for the US market BMW might have had second thoughts recently that it may start too high, and now they planned on introducing the 23.

On a side note. was the Z3 1.9i really that slow? Also the 23 numbers are not that bad, I mean 200 HP and a 0-60 that compares to the 528. Do you think the car would get bad US press with those numbers? I mean before the Z4 change to 3.0i and 3.0si, they had a 2.5L engine.
Appreciate 0