03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Z4 versus other BMWs

I was at a corporate event at the BMW Performance Center yesterday. First time on a track, better late than never!

After driving an X3 on the offroad course (pretty impressive off road considering it doesn’t have a low range gearbox) we got to drive a few cars on the track.

They were, by decreasing order of fun:
  • 1 – Z4 35is. The extra torque is definitely noticeable versus my 35i. The DCT shifts in Sport+ mode are flawless – I let it shift on its own as I was too busy learning the track. Definitely the most sporty of the bunch, only an M3 or 135i would be more fun on that track.
  • 2 – 650i convertible. Very impressive for a luxo-barge. Power delivery is flawless and addictive but you definitely feel the stability control system fighting you in the corners. Feels like driving a video game. A very expensive video game.
  • 3 – 335i (E90 with slushbox automatic) Not the best at anything but the most harmonious mix of balance, handling, steering, acceleration and braking of the bunch. Very consistent and predictable.
  • 4 – 550i. Same balance as the 335i but heavier. Impressive for a family sedan.
  • 5 – 750Li. A limo at the track(!) Remarkably good handling for such a heavy, long car, good brakes but a lethargic automatic transmission hampers acceleration out of the corners.
  • 6 – X6M. 555 horses in a stiffly sprung SUV with no storage space Surprisingly agile in the corners, corners flat but Newton always wins - mass is mass. Add a football field to the other car’s braking distance if you want to stay on track. Remarkable execution on a totally pointless concept.

Then we had time trials with an M3 on an autocross course. Feels slower than the Z4 off the line (no low-end torque), but after 20 yards it turns into a rocket sled. At high revs the engine is incredibly responsive, revs (and sounds) like a chain saw. My lap times kept improving, but I had a hard time getting my half-a-century-old brain to cope with the limits of that car. It's just awesome. I definitely need to come back for a full day of //M training.

We ended the day as passengers in an M5 being drifted by one of the instructors. 3 grown men turned into drooling, hysterical 14-year olds.

All in all, if I needed a track car I'd get an M3, but for every day spirited driving I still prefer my Z4

Last edited by cdeslandes; 03-16-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0