View Single Post
      03-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Autohaus/BMW has now run 3 distinct scanners on the car. All worked fine.

I sat at the dealer for three hours this a.m. while they hooked it up to a labscope and sent the Outreach folks screenshots. They asked BMW to test voltage on pins 6 and 14.

BMW sent 5 screenshots. Outreach continued to dig and dig into the screenshots, asking for more. BMW sent 4 more screenshots. Outreach asked more and many varied other questions:

What are the real max/min voltage readings?
What is the network resistance?
Once you have max/min, get a couple data packets on the screen to compare.
Can you check DLC pins for low tension.
Has an insurance tracking device ever been attached to the DLC (WHO FREAKIN' KNOWS?).

Bottom line: Dealer continues to see no issues with vehicle and finally called it quits. Says they're nuts and had all the information they needed many times over. Meanwhile, IL Outreach refuses to believe their machines might be the cause. Hell, it's job security. "Look at all these cars I've cleaned-up in the last month alone!".

The dealer did strip the wires and reinstall...hopefully that helps when I test next.

So my tags expire today, I'll have to spend more time getting a registration extension and then drop the car off at an authorized IL repair shop and spend more money on it. Go through the same thing, likely next week. Pure joy.

IL BMW rep says he's seen 4 cars in the last week alone the state didn't pass. Says 90% of them will hit a different location and magically get a pass. I didn't know this up front. Not only did I go to the same location but also the same dang line (emissions tool).

I'll try again tonight at a different spot if I have time. See if my luck changes.

Last edited by STR3T; 03-31-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0