View Single Post
      06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
Here I was, thinking I was lucky. I had read most of the threads about how awful the style 296 wheels were, especially on crappy roads, but up until now had thought I lucked out and got the indestructible set. WRONG!

I took it to the dealer today when the rear right tire pressure low warning came on, thinking it was just a puncture and a slow leak. It was just about due for the annual oil service, and I noticed the coolant level low warning appear intermittently. Dropped it off this morning, nothing eventful to report; I was optimistic I might get it back today.

But then the SA calls me and tells me that the two rear rims are both cracked! The one with low pressure actually had SIX cracks in it.

Thankfully I got the tire insurance when I leased the vehicle, so this will all be covered, but they only had one rim in stock and had to order the other.

I guess I learned my lesson and will take the forum's advice on rim selection in the future, haha. Or maybe not -- despite their flaws, I can't say I like any of the non-M rims better than the 296.
It will be interesting to see if you get two of the upgraded design. Keep us posted. The newer design has a much more noticable step on the inboard edge. Like the photo below.

Here's a link where you can also see the older design revison.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=296

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0