View Single Post
      04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Congrats, esp since you're an E85 owner. Would like to hear some honest views on the E89 if you don't mind and what made you switch (because other E85 owners usually just come in here to bash and do the whole 'sour grapes/sweet lemon' thing lol).
Don't mind at all, though this might be a little more than you bargained for .

This started about a year ago, at M School in Spartanburg. I drove the M3 with a DCT and was enthralled with the transmission. Absolutely addictive. I'd never driven anything like it before. For years, I've been a staunch clutch pedal enthusiast. That DCT finally made me understand why F1, ALMS, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche and others use this technology. It was like my eyes had been opened for the first time, ha. If losing a clutch pedal means this much fun, then so be it.

Due to my previous experience owning both pre and post LCI model E85 Z4s, I wanted to wait for the LCI to see how the DCT in the Z4 IS compared to the M3s. When I finally drove it, I was very impressed. It's not as customizable as the M3, but it's fun and addictive enough for me. I can listen to those throttle blips while downshifting All. Day. Long.

In December, my wife purchased a 128i with the Technology & Cold Weather packages, and there are things about both I've been a little jealous of. I really like how the iPhone connection is seamless into the Nav via USB (vs. my SpecDock, which now no longer works as well w/ the iPhone 5's lighting connector) and the heated steering wheel. Man, as stupid as it sounds, the idea of a heated steering wheel is a godsend. With the top down on a crisp night, between the seat heater and the heat itself, everything can stay warm EXCEPT your darn hands.

There are things I'll need to get used to in the E89, like more creative packing (you'd be shocked how much you can fit in the E85's trunk) and the star trek cup holder (I do wish they'd kept the E85's cup holders, mine never broke and always worked great, and disappeared when you weren't using them) and the disappearance of that awesome cubby hole between the seats. I'll admit when it was released I was cool on the idea of a turbo, and the addition of a hard top wasn't what I'd hoped for. However, with the creation of the IS, it really does seem like they've built one of the best BMW convertibles ever.

If I had to boil it down to one deciding factor, it would definitely be the DCT. Exhaust note would be second, followed by the more up-to-date technology/look/options of a new car. For me personally, I also had enough equity in my current Z4 to make purchasing a new one very attractive financially, in a nutshell: pay about the same thing and get a brand new car (and one built to my exact desires to boot).

As you can see, this has been building over time. The idea has kinda slowly chipped away at my love for the E85 (specifically, my car, not necessarily the model in general), and last weekend was the kicker. My buddy, who currently owns an E46 M3, was in from San Diego, and we test drove a previously owned low miles 08 M Roadster because he was thinking of buying one. Right after, we then went and drove the IS (I'd driven it before, he hadn't). After seeing his reaction coming out of the car, after JUST having driven an M Roadster, that sealed the deal. Yes, I talked to him today, yes, he's a little jealous, and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered one as well. This is also after he drove a new Z428i in San Diego and HATED it. The IS is a different animal altogether from the rest of the line, having driven both at speed and through the corners, the IS has a LOT in common with the mighty M3.

So that's about it. Sorry for the ramble, if you have any other questions, just let me know.

Last edited by mbetoni; 04-13-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0