02-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #32
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
The NC Miata retractable hardtop (2007-2013) was praised as one of the lightest designs ever produced and it added 80# to the car's curb weight. So my guess is we're talking close to 100# on the E89.
Im only talking about non common parts. Like for instance. Both ragtop and hard top have glass window, support connecting rods, motors, actuators, cabling, latches, hoses, fluid etc.. So Im not counting those parts. I suppose if you did add those part then yes you are right i would agree 100 lbs would be correct. I was merely talking the skin, the interior panels etc. To your point there is the trunk lifting mechanism so that would have to be added to it. After doing a comparison from a while back on a cut away diagram i was pretty impressed how few parts that the E85 and the E89 really were not in common. It wouldnt surprise me if it were more and i am totally guessing based on what i know similar parts like these weight from years of experience. I would bet that the total weight of every part that controls the top including the top itself weighs about 100lbs. maybe a little more but not much. Does anyone have the exact weight of all the hard top parts for the E89 and the E85? I would be curious the actual diff.