02-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Well, I'm not a "ragtop purist" but I would say that all the points you mention count equally against retractable hardtops. Additionally, the weight is up high, just where you don't want it and they tend to be more prone to misadjustment than ragtops. Also, anyone who's owned a late model Miata knows the joy of throwing up or down its well-designed top with a flick of the wrist in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same on a Z4. And finally, I take issue with your remark that "that RF(T) is way better looking (on the ND Miata) and just better than the rag one. Simply improves the whole car." The jury is out on how popular this variant will be as it was a compromise design for Mazda. The shortened length of the ND meant there was no way they could design a PRHT like the older model and not have it eat up the entire trunk. The RFT is a targa design that, to my mind, looks a bit awkward and creates wind noise when it's "down".
So, the wt's the main issue, and how much more really? If carmakers can make it close or even lighter than a rag, then the whole argument for rags can then be discarded. At least can ppl agree that the metal roof generally looks better than a rag?

I'd be interest to see a poll, I'm sure more ppl think that the RF looks better than the ragged Miata.
Appreciate 0