Thread: Z4 observations
View Single Post
      03-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Vbar
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
The only thing that keeps me from getting the 35iS model is that it does not seem to hold its shift close to redline and just upshifts for you, which is understandable for an auto, but if they market this paddle shifting to be useful for the track, i'm having second thoughts, and am certain to get the 35i instead.

Let us know if this review is similar to your autocross experience

Do not quote me on this but i can not imagine that they would make the 35is shift automatically and not the 35i. Theres one thing i can not understand is why anyone would be shifting at redline on car with this kind of twinturbo setup. I did not dyno this car but using the torque app the acceleration change between 5k and 6.5 is non existent. With other turbo cars the concern would be that if you shift 1.5k earlier, the engine would drop to low into the rpm range to produce enough exhaust to power the turbo sufficiently but this thing puts down close to 300 lb feet of torque at around 1500rpm, so unless your shifting at 3k, you should be good. There is a large field by my area where people meet to run cars safely and i recently ran vs an automatic chevrolet camarao ss(L99 not ls3) The first run i was ahead by a car length at 60, when shifting my self and switching gear at exactly 5krpm, maybe even a few hundred less and i was ahead of him by the exact same distance as i was in the second run where it left it in automatic and sport+. I really do not think this should be a concern. One thing that does suck however is that there is no LSD for such a powerful car. I can always feel one wheel spinning.
Appreciate 0