Thread: Salt corrosion
View Single Post
      06-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

What I mean by being owned by BMW is just that, it was not sold new as BMW had owned it as one of their own cars for 18months, not even as we say in the UK pre registered. I noticed the rust on the callipers and with a degree of push from my own dealer, (not the one I purchased it from) and they agreed to change not as a warranty but as a gesture of goodwill, so I paid for part of the labour. I have argued that the discs where badly pitted but they would not do anything about it. When I decided to clean the discs I took off each wheel in turn and found the rust on the rest of the hubs and wheels. When I say rust it was some 2-3 mm deep and crusted, and when I started to clean it I noticed the sand/salt within it. Cannot believe my own dealer never said anything when they did the callipers, they even put grease on top, it is not surface rust!!! when I looked into the wheel arches, around the shock absorber mounts, they are orange in shade from the rust across all the unpainted areas.
Stupidly I used a dremel to clean up as much as possible, because I could not with all good intent leave it..... Now I wonder what other damage has been done eg will the hubs/wheel bearings fail earlier, as it could have been ingressed into the bearing, these are some of my questions??????
Appreciate 0