04-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez4 View Post
Hello everyone, I've had my Z4 for about a month now, and I'm not able to get my rear view mirror/garage door opener to work. I've watched youtube videos telling me to press buttons 1 and 3 on the mirror, to clear out the existing codes, but i never see any flashing lights that indicate the button presses are doing anything. Has anyone came across this before? I've tried to program 2 different garage doors with the rolling codes pressing the button on the garage door opener, but it never works. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James Butler
2016 Z4
I assume you have the same mirror as mine (also a 2016). The blinking light is a tiny led just to the left of the 1 button. It's easy to block with your finger when pressing the button.

If it doesn't light at all, I'd check the power connection under the cover around the mirror base. The previous owner may have disconnected it to steal power for a radar detector, or ??

If you can get that part working it may not be able to program your opener. The Homelink system is the same as in the E90 generation from 2008. And it didn't get updated with the LCI either. If your opener has a round yellow learn button, it won't work as it uses the newer SECURITY+ 2.0 multi-frequency system.

But there is a solution. You need a HOMELINK® COMPATIBILITY BRIDGE kit. It comes with a remote and a module that can be plugged into an electrical outlet. It's a two step process to set up. Plug the module into a power outlet in the garage. You then program the car remote to the bridge and then the bridge to the opener. (The remote that comes with it is only needed for programming - don't lose it.) Once set up, it's transparent.

Gerry