View Single Post
      10-10-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
torq
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

OK. I got the correct numbers. I had an extra letter in that second line before.

FGSTNR
Exxxxxx

At first, I thought this might be some kind of error code, although it didn't make too much sense for an error code to say service due in 700 miles (now it's at -370 miles). I looked up FGSTNR on Google and it stands for Fahrgestellnummer in German (Chassis number in English). So, yes, the number after the E is just the last six digits of the VIN. I thought those digits looked familiar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
Once you received the service indicator you should let go of the ODO button then immediately press and hold it again and it should then read RESET.
This is the part that isn't happening. I push the reset button and get the triangle, but as soon as I release it, the display goes back to time and temperature, and when I push it again, the triangle comes back. If I repeat, this repeats. If I keep holding, I get the hidden menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
The fact that you saw the following tells me you held the button down without releasing and pressing it again to enter the service mode. The screen after another few seconds goes into diag mode which is where you were.
But I did release it. I tried varying the speed, releasing and pushing again as fast as I can, more slowly, etc. Always get the same result.

I tried CedarZ's steps, but I get stuck between steps 3) and 4):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4
3) Press and hold the odometer reset button for about 2-3 seconds. You will see an orange warning triangle come up; KEEP holding it for another 2-3 seconds
4) You should now be directed to the service menu... use the up/down switch on the indicator stalk (left of steering wheel) and scroll to the service item you want reset
I never get redirected to the service menu. If I keep holding (instead of releasing first), I eventually get the hidden menu.

Since I don't see any other symbols either (brake fluid, etc.), I'm wondering if there was a software reset on this car that is preventing this from happening.
Appreciate 0