10-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
yes, the DCT is terrible compared to manual despite quicker acceleration and better gas mileage - it really sucks; while we are at it let's chunk the other technological advancements too like the M suspension, turbos, stability control, traction control, abs, airbags, variable valve and exhaust timing, much improved sound system, navigation, tubeless tires, run flat tires, satellite radio, SOS, auto dimming mirrors, auto wipers, hd radio (hell, delete all radio and all sound, real cars never had that, especially race cars), power steering and braking. indeed, might as well forget the starter and let's hand crank the darn thing. all this advancement sucks, I am going out back to hand chop firewood in preparation for the coming winter for my pot belly stove because it is the only source of heat for my log cabin that has no electricity or running water
I don't think the person who wrote the article was dissing the dct transmission, nor am I. It is just that the six speed is more fun to drive. I was reallly going for the new technology and would not order my car until I found one to test drive. I was certain I was going to order my car with the dct transmission. I was coming from driving manuals all my life and was ready for a change. It just didn't do it for me. As I have previously stated, if you were accustomed to driving automatics, the dct would more than satisfy. I find that the six speed manual is more fun to drive and I knew that once the novelty of the dct wore off, had I ordered it with that configuration, I would be missing the manual. I am all for technology, but in this case the dct still seemed more like an automatic in my opinion. I think it is great, but just not for everyone and I just felt that the author of that article hit the nail on the head when he compared the manual to the other transmissions.

Last edited by Roadstergal; 10-02-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0