View Single Post
      06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

Not one, but TWO rims cracked (style 296, of course)

Here I was, thinking I was lucky. I had read most of the threads about how awful the style 296 wheels were, especially on crappy roads, but up until now had thought I lucked out and got the indestructible set. WRONG!

I took it to the dealer today when the rear right tire pressure low warning came on, thinking it was just a puncture and a slow leak. It was just about due for the annual oil service, and I noticed the coolant level low warning appear intermittently. Dropped it off this morning, nothing eventful to report; I was optimistic I might get it back today.

But then the SA calls me and tells me that the two rear rims are both cracked! The one with low pressure actually had SIX cracks in it.

Thankfully I got the tire insurance when I leased the vehicle, so this will all be covered, but they only had one rim in stock and had to order the other.

I guess I learned my lesson and will take the forum's advice on rim selection in the future, haha. Or maybe not -- despite their flaws, I can't say I like any of the non-M rims better than the 296.
Appreciate 0