07-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #82
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
And how about not paying $4000k on avg. when the thing breaks (I heard the original SMG was 10k from one person)? My Nissan has 230k and on the original clutch.
Yes the SMG wasn't so good, the DCT is totally a different ballgame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
It's pretty weird for anyone to say, here's a DCT/PDK aka automatic. You like this better. It's so fun and amazing to move from P, to D, and back to R, and then P. Very weird.
I drove a four speed for many years and this is way better. In high school I had a TR3 followed by a 1973 Capri with 4 on the floor and then the 1975 Vette with four on the floor. Then after I was married and drove beaters, the Chevette Scooter I drove was four on the floor and then I had a Volvo 264 with four on the floor. So I am very well acquainted with manual transmission because that is all I drove for about 20 years.

The DCT is all about shifting at the RPM you want but no having to coddle the clutch so you don't drop it or wait for it to grab or whatever. It's lightning fast on the switch and if you choose to let the computer do it, it's way faster for 1/4 mile racing and of course around town or in stop and go traffic you are free to drink coffee with the gearshift hand if you want to leave it in automatic mode.
Appreciate 0