View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
stablearchitecture
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 35iS - loaded

Garage List
To answer the question by "smudger", the fitting seemed relatively easy to me, but it does depend how brave you want to be. You have two completely remove the head unit, as long as you got the right tools and this should be relatively straightforward, then you need to run the wiring ( purchased along with the amp) from the head unit to the boot, I guess that's going to be the trickiest piece to get right. Once you've got the boot space, it's a matter of stripping out the boot to reveal the metal panel that separates the boot space from the front of the car, this is where the amplifier is fitted and where it can remain completely invisible once you've refitted the boot space.

The kit that I purchased is all listed in my detailed post about the installation. I literally had to just buy the amplifier and the longer cable option.
I haven't fitted the tweeters yet, but they are in stock so should be in the car relatively soon, they do plug directly in and are very easy upgrade (as maniacGT has already noted), it's a simple case of pulling the door pants off so that you can get into the speaker location, then putting the new tweeters and plugging them straight into the existing wiring loom before putting it all back together again.

Now that I have the amplifier install for a few weeks but one thing I've noticed is that it does give you some static interference in the rear speakers when either there is no sound coming through at all, or stereos turnoff, this is really starting to get on my nerves, but I understand I can turn the game down on the amplifier to eliminate this - hoping to tweak this when I get the tweeters installed.
I would suggest ordering and installing the tweeters and see would you think before going for the entire amplifier install just to save you £600 or so.

ManicGT - I agree the sound system isn't anywhere near as bad as I've read on this forum, I guess it depends what you're used to. I wish I'd gone for the tweeter install only to start with as it does sound like it does make a big difference.
Appreciate 0