03-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #22
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
There is NO car that doesn't have issues. And ALL cars are expensive to fix. Basically the Z4 is a very well-built car. Let's say there are 500,000 individual parts in the car. A failure rate of just 0.005 (1/2%) yields 2500 failed parts. One tends to get a skewed view from these forums because 90% of the threads are 1. check out my new ride and 2. I have this problem, what should I do? No one ever talks about the lack of trouble they have. My 2012 has had nothing but a few minor issues, but who wants to hear that?
My warranty advice? Self insure. Take the money the policy would cost, add $100 per month to it for a year or two, then stop. That's your repair fund. If you never need it, it's still your money, not the insurance company's.
Great point about forums. We should try to be more positive. It might help our resale too. And just to join the record my E89 is a joy and it is working perfectly. The vaunted Cayman which everyone tries to compare it to, has engine issues that are catastrophic, and the ride is downright harsh.
Great advise about warranties too. I think that for many, they are more about comfort factor than financial efficiency. Many of them pay high commissions to the salesman who is also glad to wrap it into your car payment, sometimes without telling you..I have refused so many of them that I am way ahead of the game.
Appreciate 0