View Single Post
      09-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Here's the issue in a nutshell. All of the speakers fit in the Z4 from off the shelf drivers already available from the BAVSOUND line for the other BMW lines they support such as the 3 series. The big issue is that of all the speakers, the most important ones in my opinion-- the ones that go in the front doors needed to be custom fit. There was absolutely no modification or cutting to the doors or panels, however there were two replaceable plastic "shrouds" behind the stock OEM speakers that needed to be slightly modified in order for the BAVSOUND speakers to fit. Jason told me that it wasn't that big of a deal, and that I could always buy just the shrouds from BMW for about $20 if I wanted to go back to the stock speakers, but BAVSOUND prides itself in 100% drop in installs, and in order for that to happen, BAVSOUND would have to produce a custom molded plastic shroud to completely replace the stock shroud. Jason was adamant, that he wanted all the parts to be drop in without any need for the customer to do any Dremeling or cutting. That being said, he didn't think there would be enough interest from Z4 owners to produce a custom molded shroud part. I am not sure what Jason plans to do with 10 kits. It's possible they will take the OEM shrouds and customize them by hand to put in the group buy kits, I'm not sure. Or maybe he will go ahead and produce a custom molded shroud hoping more will eventually be sold.

What I can say is that I am forever grateful to Jason and Cory at BAVSOUND for installing a great sounding system that is magnitudes better than the stock premium sound system. I'd have to say the sound is absolutely brilliant and aside from the shroud I mentioned, was all drop in parts and completely reversible to stock.

I would say it's well worth the group buy price if you decide to go that route. Like I said, it's a killer sounding system. I'd even offer up my car again if Jason decides he needs it to make a pattern for the shroud piece.
Appreciate 0