Thread: Alpine PXE-H650
View Single Post
      10-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: NA

I checked with BlueSpot and they couldn't tell me which cable the E89 would use but looking at the list, most of the new BMWs use the same lead (7 607 622 016 001) and I am going to assume that the stereo in the E89 is pretty much the same as the one in the 1 series or 3 series.

So my plan would be to get that amp and fit it, probably in the boot behind the "ski hatch" (can someone tell me where the OEM amp is fitted?) and see how that sounds.
Then depending on how the front speakers cope I will see if I can get a BMW tweeter to just plug in to the mid range at the front. If the standard speakers can't cope with the power then a new component set will be required up front.
At the back, I may just upgrade the single speaker on each side for some Focal full range speakers and see how that sounds.
Then one or two subs, feeding off the 5th channel of the amp - don't know where to put those yet, one option would be to get the OEM subs and housings and grills and put them in the stock locations and maybe upgrade the subs themselves but that feels like an expensive option. Another option would be to put a sub in the centre where the storage bin is in the partition but then I don't really want to lose the storage and it won't look stock.
If the rear speakers need more range (which I doubt they do). Then I will take the rear feed from the head unit and feed it to two little mid range speakers behind a grill in the centre of the rear partition (where the professional setup has a centre speaker) so I can keep the PDC tones and then feed the front channel from the head unit to front and rear.
After that I am sure the sound will be much better and i can stop!