View Single Post
      06-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #77
RolandHanbury
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.0i e89 M-Sport

Lightbulb

I have just installed the BMW OEM wind deflector, which I got for the list price of £317 from BMW Direct on eBay. You don't need to touch the front (black) roll hoop covers at all - I have no idea why the BMW documentation says you need to buy them (and even the official installation instructions say you should remove them, which is unnecessary).
By far the hardest part of the job was removing the silver rear roll hoop covers. The bottom ends came away quite easily, but not the top. In the end I wedged the bottom open and used a large flat bladed screwdriver to push away in the centre of the top, using considerable force to pop them off. The first one flew about ten feet and got scratched on the pavement, so I knew to hold on to the second one.
It is a moot point whether you should invest £22 each in replacement pre-drilled roll hoop covers. It would have saved me an hour carefully measuring and drilling the four access holes for the screws that hold the mounting brackets. I had to burr two of them into ovals as my original measurement was about 2mm out, but this is not visible. I quite enjoyed the challenge.
The small mesh inserts clipped in quite easily, then the brackets screw on easily and the roll hoop covers pop back on much more easily than they came off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0