06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #110
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
1. Did any of you strip any of the wax off, along the leading edge where the 3M tape will be located? If so, what product did you use to strip the wax, for best adhesion?
2. Am I correct in thinking that the new indicators have clips that will clip in? In the OP's opening post, it does appear as though there are 3 metal clips there.

3.So I'm assuming that between these 3 clips and the 3M adhesive, it's enough to hold the indicator in place....?
1. You should strip off the wax, use simple rubbing alcohol or even dawn dishwashing liquid. I prefer rubbing alcohol. This will mean it will not come loose later as the wax melts.

2. There are tabs that simply clip into the place of the oriignal one.

3. Yes the three tabs and the tape will hold it. As a matter of fact most aero kick panels, rear difussers and spoilers are held on with 3M tape (other brands not BMW) alone so I know it will hold up to the wind. DE goes the extra mile to make sure there is no issue and adds clips. 3M tape is very strong and after curing for a few days it gets even stronger. If you ever try to pull off a badge that is taped on you will know what i mean. It is the same tape.

Extra note: There is a tab that will need to be removed from the new assembly (plastic) make sure you cut it/break it off and then file if flat to the surface so that once you adhere it to the vehicle it isnt vibrating and scratching your paint underneath