View Single Post
      12-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #5
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

I basically had a similar question after buying my z4. When I went to the dealer I asked them how the computer resets worked for the oil, breaks, and other readings through the cluster. My question to them was, can I reset the mileage at any point For these items listed. Their response was yes. I then said, so the previous owner could of reset it with out me knowing reading that the pads were new and oil was fresh. Their answer was yes. So I told them that the monitoring system on the car was pointless if it could be reset at any point. They shrugged their shoulder in agreement and said yes. So your best bet is to replace the parts and rest yourself so you know when and what will need to be replaced. This system is only a reminder realy if you forget the mileage when you had the service done.

Forgot to add one thing. As for the sensor... it is basically a thin piece of wire that when it breaks causes the compleated circuit to break. This causes the system to read that the breaks need replacing. So if the sensor was broken pre-maturely. Then you could have a warning indicator in the system. More than likely though it was just not reset when replaced or you are just harder on the pedals than BMW anticipated. Because remember this is a mileage reminder system. Not a real time countdown system like our gas consumption is. Another thing to think about is if you are using non BMW recommended pad they may wear differently. So I am sure in the software somewhere there is a place to add or deduct mileage from the reset numbers BMW has set. Yet now you are talking about flashing your ECU. Your choice.... I would just deal with it as a guideline until I got the sensor wire to break indicator.

Last edited by dblaron30i; 12-23-2016 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0